INFORMATION THAT AAFTONLINE.COM COLLECTS FROM YOU (INCLUDING PERSONAL INFORMATION)
aaftonline.com directly collects information when you:
- sign up for an user account and create an aaftonline.com user profile;
- Enroll and participate in online courses;
- purchase a product or service
- send email messages to aaftonline.com (including messages to learner support);
- participate in user surveys; and
- participate in public forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the aaftonline.com Site.
aaftonline.com also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the aaftonline.com Site, as explained in the section below titled Cookies and Tracking Technologies.
aaftonline.com does not itself collect or store financial account numbers or identification issued by a governmental entity, employer, or other authority. Instead, if you choose to make a purchase on the aaftonline.com Site, for example a Verified Certificate, you will be directed to aaftonline.com’s third-party payment processor and aaftonline.com’s third-party ID verification service provider. If you do not wish to submit the required authentication or payment information, then you will not be able to obtain a certificate via the aaftonline.com Site.
aaftonline.com requires your Personal Information limited circumstances when you:
- sign up for an aaftonline.com user account (name, username, email address);
- purchase a Verified Certificate (so that aaftonline.com’s third-party vendor can authenticate your identity) or other product or service (so that aaftonline.com’s third-party vendor can process payment);
- participate in remote proctoring or other course facilitation processes (so that aaftonline.com’s third-party vendor can monitor and assess the integrity of your course activity); or
- earn a Verified Certificate (the certificate will have your name on it).
To the extent that aaftonline.com associates the information that aaftonline.com collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your account profile.
You may voluntarily choose to share additional Personal Information on the aaftonline.com Site, for example:
- in your aaftonline.com account profile (and you may display a limited or full profile to other aaftonline.com Site users);
- in applying for financial assistance; or
- when participating in a course, forum, webinar, or other interactive experience on the aaftonline.com Site (noting that in some cases, this information is shared with a third party that provides tools or other assistance for the aaftonline.com Site or a course).
aaftonline.com encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing additional Personal Information on the aaftonline.com Site. (If you later choose to delete your aaftonline.com account, deletion will be subject to the process and limits outlined below.) Members do not receive your Personal Information unless and until you enroll in a course. If you enroll in a course, the Member that offers the course will receive Personal Information from your aaftonline.com account profile plus the information that aaftonline.com collects about your activity and performance in the course in which you enrolled.
Cookies And Tracking Technologies on the aaftonline.com Site
- based on your cookie settings, aaftonline.com tracks information indicating, among other things, which pages of the aaftonline.com Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used;
- aaftonline.com may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software (including mobile use and device type when you use aaftonline.com native mobile apps) you used when accessing the aaftonline.com Site, and aaftonline.com may be able to determine from an IP address your Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of your point of connectivity; and
- aaftonline.com may track and collect information from emails that aaftonline.com sends to you, for example whether you opened the email or clicked on any links from the email.
aaftonline.com also partners with third parties to help us track and understand your activity on the aaftonline.com Site, how you interact with aaftonline.com’s social media, and how you find or may be referred to the aaftonline.com Site. Individual Members may separately use Tracking Technologies within their courses and email communications to understand your activity within a course and how you find or may be referred to a course on the aaftonline.com Site.
- when necessary for system administration, security, and integrity to ensure the aaftonline.com Site works properly for you. Without these technologies, the aaftonline.com Site may not function correctly;
- to enable analytics, performance and functionality, to help aaftonline.com and Members gather information about how visitors use the aaftonline.com Site and monitor aaftonline.com Site performance, and to enhance your experience by recognizing and remembering whether you have visited the aaftonline.com Site before and may have any personal preferences; and
- to support marketing by enabling aaftonline.com and Members to deliver content relevant to your interests on the aaftonline.com Site and third-party sites based on how you interact with aaftonline.com or Member advertisements or content. aaftonline.com and Members use “first-party” cookies, which means cookies served by aaftonline.com or an individual Member, and also “third-party” cookies, which means cookies served by third parties that help aaftonline.com and Members track this information.
You have some options for managing Cookies and other Tracking Technologies. These include:
- Modifying your browser settings: You should be able to control how and whether your web browser accepts Cookies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new Cookies, how to receive notification of new Cookies, and how to disable existing Cookies. If you reject aaftonline.com’s Cookies, many functions and conveniences of the aaftonline.com Site may not work properly.
- Opting-out of certain third-party tracking and advertising: Some of the third parties used by aaftonline.com or a Member for Cookies and Tracking Technologies offer the ability to opt-out from their tracking by following processes described on their websites. A list of some such third parties is maintained and available at the aaftonline.com learner Help Center and includes, for some, links to applicable opt-out processes. Neither aaftonline.com nor any Member is responsible for the effectiveness of any third-party opt-out options.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS USED
aaftonline.com and Members use information, including Personal Information, to carry out the following purposes:
- Operate and improve the aaftonline.com Site – This includes creating and improving features that support the aaftonline.com community and enable aaftonline.com Site usage at scale. This also includes personalizing the aaftonline.com Site, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Create, administer, provide, and teach courses– This includes creating and improving the delivery of massive open online courses and programs on aaftonline.com. This also includes personalizing courses, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs, and assessing your performance and awarding certificates.
- Offer and improve products and services – This includes enabling you to navigate the aaftonline.com Site, to enroll and participate in courses and programs on the aaftonline.com Site, to learn effectively in such courses and programs, and to purchase or obtain products and services on the aaftonline.com Site such as Verified Certificates.
- Develop and maintain the security and performance of the aaftonline.com Site – This includes tracking aaftonline.com Site outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Honor Code and Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the aaftonline.com Site.
- Communicate with you – This includes answering your course and platform questions, notifying you of course and aaftonline.com Site maintenance and updates, marketing to you about course offerings, programs, news, and related products and services of aaftonline.com or aaftonline.com affiliates, and as permitted under applicable law, sending you communications about products or services of selected business partners that may be of interest to you.
- Support scientific research including, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education – This includes collaborating to enable and conduct research about how learners access and master course materials online, with the goal of improving course outcomes.
- Track aaftonline.com Site usage against goals and mission – This includes performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and course-related products and services and to report aggregate usage information (not Personal Information) to business partners and external audiences.
- Exercise, enforce, and comply with legal rights and obligations – This includes responding to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; and investigating, preventing, or taking action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of aaftonline.com, Members, or others, and as otherwise required by applicable law.
aaftonline.com or a Member may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable law.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS SHARED
aaftonline.com and Members share information, including Personal Information, with third parties for the following purposes:
- With other learners in courses that you take and with other visitors to the aaftonline.com Site, to create an interactive learning environment, support class participation, and share course information – This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the aaftonline.com Site designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication. This also includes providing opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals, for instance, recommending specific study partners or connecting potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, aaftonline.com and each Member that offers a course in which you enrolled may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but will only provide others your username (for clarity, no disclosure of your real name or email address).
- With employers, government programs, institutions, or other enterprises that sponsor your enrollment in a course for training or other educational purposes – If an entity pays for or otherwise sponsors your Verified Certificate or course participation, aaftonline.com will share information with the entity as needed to confirm your enrollment, participation, progress, and completion status in that course.
aaftonline.com or a Member may also seek your consent for additional disclosures of information, including Personal Information, and will share it only as described to you. In addition, aaftonline.com or a Member may share with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and business partners, information and Personal Information that is de-identified or aggregated in a manner that does not personally identify you.
HOW TO MANAGE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can manage your Personal Information through learner features on the aaftonline.com Site and requests to the aaftonline.com learner support team. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, aaftonline.com learner support will notify and coordinate with the appropriate Member to address your request. aaftonline.com will provide support to the extent required by applicable law (for example, learners in the European Union) and more broadly when possible, as a courtesy in our sole discretion. aaftonline.com will notify you in the event that aaftonline.com is unable to meet a request that is not legally required. Similarly, Members will only be obligated to comply with requests to the extent legally required, but may choose to comply with other requests in their sole discretion.
Access and correct your Personal Information
Much of your Personal Information is available in your aaftonline.com account. Your name, email address, and other identifiable profile information is editable through the profile settings in your aaftonline.com account except as noted below. Your account dashboard lists all current and archived courses in which you have enrolled and includes links to any Verified Certificates you may have earned. The dashboard also contains copies of your answers and other participation and performance in courses. Please contact aaftonline.com learner support to access and update this or other information. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, aaftonline.com learner support will notify the appropriate Member of your request.
- Usernames cannot ever be changed. This is an aaftonline.com system restriction. Because usernames identify you in courses and elsewhere on the aaftonline.com Site, aaftonline.com encourages you to use discretion in choosing your username. If you want to protect your identity, do not use your real name or a name identifiable to you as your username.
- aaftonline.com does not track or index every time or every place on the aaftonline.com Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so neither aaftonline.com nor Members will be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. aaftonline.com encourages you to use discretion before volunteering Personal Information on the aaftonline.com Site.
Restrict or object to the processing of Personal Information
If you want to manage emails and other communications to you, you may update your preferences in your aaftonline.com account dashboard, follow the steps described in links at the bottom of email messages, or contact aaftonline.com learner support. You may object to, or request that aaftonline.com or a Member stop, its use of your Personal Information for other purposes by contacting the aaftonline.com learner support team. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, aaftonline.com learner support will notify the appropriate Member of your request. Please note that if you choose to restrict aaftonline.com’s or a Member’s ability to process Personal Information, and the processing is otherwise required to provide you with various services and products offered on the aaftonline.com Site, you may not be able to establish an aaftonline.com user account or enroll for a course, and aaftonline.com or a Member may not be able to provide you with those services or products.
Delete account and Personal Information
To request deletion of your aaftonline.com account and Personal Information, you should click the button labeled “Delete my account” in your aaftonline.com account settings. Because deletion on the aaftonline.com system is a permanent action and cannot be reversed, aaftonline.com may ask you to complete a process that aims to confirm your authority to manage the aaftonline.com account affected by your request. With respect to your aaftonline.com account, aaftonline.com will permanently:
- deactivate your aaftonline.com account,
- remove the active profile,
- retire your username, and
- remove you from aaftonline.com email lists.
With respect to your Personal Information, aaftonline.com will permanently delete your aaftonline.com account profile Personal Information from the aaftonline.com Site. As noted above, to the extent that aaftonline.com associates the information that aaftonline.com collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your aaftonline.com account profile. By erasing the Personal Information in your aaftonline.com account profile, the remaining information about your activity on the aaftonline.com Site will no longer be associated with you, except as noted below. These changes will be applied to data stores that are used for operation of the aaftonline.com Site including course administration by Members. If you enrolled in any courses on the aaftonline.com Site, the aaftonline.com learner support team will share your request with the Members that offered those courses.
- Deletion will not apply to historical activity logs or archives unless and until these logs and data naturally "age-off" the aaftonline.com system.
- aaftonline.com does not track or index every time or every place on the aaftonline.com Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so neither aaftonline.com nor Members will be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. aaftonline.com encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing your Personal Information on the aaftonline.com Site.
- aaftonline.com will archive course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to serve its mission to enable scientific research on cognitive science and education. These archives are used to produce encrypted research data packages for Members, and Personal Information may not be deleted from research data packages retained by Members.
- aaftonline.com and each applicable Member cannot always delete records of past interactions and transactions. For example, records relating to previous purchases on the aaftonline.com Site must be retained for financial reporting, audit, and compliance reasons.
- aaftonline.com and each Member will retain and use Personal Information as necessary to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
aaftonline.com will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes; and to comply with aaftonline.com’s legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. If you enroll in a Member’s course, such Member will also retain your Personal Information for as long as needed to provide you with services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes; and to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. Upon your request that aaftonline.com deactivate your account and delete your information, aaftonline.com will follow the process described above, including without limitation archiving your course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to serve its mission to enable scientific research on cognitive science and education. These archives will be used to produce encrypted research data packages for Members, and each such Member may also keep and use course data for scientific research.
STORAGE & SECURITY
aaftonline.com stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and also on servers of companies that aaftonline.com hires to provide services. Each Member also stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and/or on servers of companies that the Member hires to provide services. In each case, information may be stored in the United States and in other countries where aaftonline.com or a Member operates, and in countries where aaftonline.com and each Member’s respective service providers operate. If you are in the European Union, Switzerland, or other regions with laws governing data collection and use, you acknowledge that aaftonline.com and each Member may transfer, process and store your personal information in the United States and other countries, the privacy laws of which may be considered less strict than those of your region.
aaftonline.com controls its own copy of information collected through the aaftonline.com Site and has an information security program designed to protect information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. aaftonline.com uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information that it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, aaftonline.com cannot guarantee its absolute security. While aaftonline.com works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, aaftonline.com cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent "hackers" or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information.
If aaftonline.com learns of a security breach involving its copy of your Personal Information, aaftonline.com may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By using the aaftonline.com Site or providing Personal Information to aaftonline.com, you agree that aaftonline.com can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the aaftonline.com Site. If a security systems breach occurs, aaftonline.com may post a notice on the aaftonline.com homepage (www.aaftonline.com.org) or elsewhere on the aaftonline.com Site and may send an email to you at the email address associated with your aaftonline.com account. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.
If a Member learns of a security breach involving that Member’s copy of your Personal Information, the Member may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By enrolling in a Member’s course on the aaftonline.com Site or providing Personal Information to the Member, you agree that the Member can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your course enrollment and participation. If a security systems breach occurs, the affected Member may post a notice on the aaftonline.com site and/or send an email to you at the email address associated with your enrollment in the Member’s course on the aaftonline.com Site. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the Personal Information that aaftonline.com maintains about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also write to us at: ATTN: PRIVACY, AAFT ELEARN PRIVATE LIMITED, aaftonline.com FC 14/15, Film City, Sector 16A, Noida, Uttar Pradesh 201301. If your request involves a Member, aaftonline.com will notify the appropriate Member of your request.
Cookies are unique identifiers usually in the form of small data files placed on your device that send certain information about your activity on the aaftonline.com Site or in an email communication back to aaftonline.com or the authorized third party that served the cookie. aaftonline.com or third parties may also use Flash cookies.
aaftonline.com Site consists of all content and pages located within the aaftonline.com.org web domain and all aaftonline.com mobile applications.
Member is each educational institution or other leading global institution or entity that provides courses through the aaftonline.com Site.
Personal Information is information that specifically identifies you or that, when combined with other information, could be used to identify you.
Tracking Technologies are web beacons, clear gifs, pixels, and similar technologies that are also unique identifiers used to track your online activity but are not stored on your device.
Verified Certificate is a virtual certificate that shows that you have successfully completed your aaftonline.com course or program and verified your identity using your webcam and your acceptable form of photo ID.
Data Deletion Instruction
Account deletion, including removal from email lists, may take a few weeks to fully process through our system. If you want to opt-out of emails before then, please unsubscribe from the footer of any email. (Despite this processing period, account and data deletion is still permanent, so your account and data will not be able to be recovered once you’ve submitted a deletion request.